Just about every week, I send a message to my e-mail list with career updates, general silliness and what I call "momentary jokes" -- current events-based humor. I'm going to experiment with sharing some of that with the wider blog audience. So enjoy! And if you do, head over to baratunde.com to join the list.
- Former U.S. President Bill Clinton is recovering well after successful heart bypass surgery. Conservatives uttered a collecting "dang!"
- In response to soldier testimony in the Abu Ghraib prison abuse case, the Bush administration is sponsoring the No Occupier Left Behind Act. The legislation will demand better performance from U.S. soldiers without providing the necessary funding or equipment to make that happen.
- A much-feared hurricane Francis struck the Florida coast this past weekend as a much softer tropical storm, resulting in less damage than anticipated. The Bush campaign has accused Frances of flip-flopping.
- Vice President Dick Cheney warned that a vote for Kerry in November risked another terrorist attack in the U.S. Cheney said he knew this to be the case because he was planning such an act "just in case."
- New research suggests the original inhabitants of America may have come from what is now known as Australia. The claim has shocked some native Americans who came overland from Siberia and say they were there first. The news also comes as a shock to religious minorities in England who have immediately set sail for Australia bearing Christianity, smallpox and an unquenchable thirst for cotton.