Viewing entries in
- Wednesday Sept 5, 8pm, Laughing Liberally Lab @ The Tank. 279 Church Street
- Thursday Sept 6, 10pm, Don't Touch the Foot @ The Sage Theatre. 711 7th Ave
After the debate, each candidate held a Q&A session in a small room. I chose Obama. People ran to his room to get a seat. Ran. After witnessing firsthand the misplaced devotion of thousands who camped out for the iPhone, I was genuinely proud of my fellow Americans for caring enough to exert themselves in the name of democracy.Afterward, Obama said to me, "Apparently, you're somebody I need to know." Not bad for the press kit. August 22, I'll be on NPR and performing in NYC I'm on National Public Radio next week. August 22nd. The show is News & Notes, hosted by Farai Chideya, and I'll be part of a black blogger roundtable discussing news and views of the day. It is broadcast live at 1pm ET. It's a really great show, so tune in. Same day, I'm performing standup at Laughing Liberally Lab The Tank in Tribeca 279 Church St b/w Franklin & White (all Canal Street stops are close) Oh yeah: I now live in New York City. I'll still be spending a lot of time in Boston though, so cry not my Beaners (actually, that's Carlos Mencia's show), Beantowners. I've started a New York Life category on my blog to chronicle the experience. Very excited. I'm here to hustle. Goal is for me to blow up before the city does. Ouchie doo doo. Too real? Possibly. Next! Video Interviews from Yearly Kos While at Yearly Kos, I had a chance to interview some cool folks:
- I already shared my interview with activist Mike Stark. Here is the video he promised
- James Rucker, from ColorOfChange.org is now up discussing the situation in Jena, LA
- Bruce Dixon of Black Agenda Report has been posted in a three-part series on diversity, immigration and more
- Someone put me in Wikipedia
- A friend has designed some Baratunde for President shirts. His idea. Not mine, but support em if you like em. I think they're cool
- I taped a small part in a sketch to be aired on a new Comedy Central show called The Watchlist made by homeys Dean Obeidallah and Negin Farsad
- Friend and comic Myq Kaplan won the wildcard Internet voting round in the Comedy Central Open Mic Fights. Thanks for voting him in
- Chinese manufacturers have shipped nearly 19 million lead-tainted toys to America's children. Thus begins the invasion.
- An NYPD study on homegrown terrorism concluded that "average citizens who band together and adopt radical ways pose a growing threat to American security." Forget al Qaeda. It's the Amish we gotta watch.
- A US soldier paid $500 for someone to shoot him in the leg so he would not have to return to Iraq. Too bad the Iraqi people don't have that option.
- According to USA Today, many American seniors are retiring to Mexico due to its improved climate and lower cost of living. Seems like a fair trade to me. America gets the young laborers and Mexico gets our tired, our poor and our huddled masses. Nice.
- Rudy Giuliani's daughter supports Obama for president. What they didn't tell you is that she also supports Obama for "Dad."
- I start writing for Huffington Post
- Yet another hot column in the Weekly Dig
- Comedy Central bestows official comedianness upon me
- I get accepted into the Boston Comedy Festival
- My website and blog get upgraded
- Other words
I've had the same barber for about the same amount of time that Bush has been president, and like many Republicans, I am loyal despite numerous embarrassing moments and outright failures. I can't pinpoint why I've been so loyal. There's something about the person who's in charge of your hair that engenders a sense of trust, loyalty and guilt at the notion of going to someone else.Weekly Dig Column I've been writing for the Dig for seven months, and this week is column number 15, Baratunde feels the burn. Here's an excerpt:
Our journey begins, as any real Boston journey should, at a Dunkin’ Donuts. This one is at Prospect Street and Somerville Ave. I’ll never be a real New Englander because I hate most things about Dunkin’ Donuts. The donuts suck, and the “coffee” is just liquified sugar. There are a few redeeming qualities in this particular location, however. First, it’s open 24 hours and serves as the second bathroom for my apartment.Comedy Central hath comicked me I'm in the Comedy Central directory of comedians! I exist! By the way, thanks for all who rolled to the Open Mic Fight competition last week in Boston. I did not make it to the next round, but I had a badass set. It was one of my best ever, and it was a real honor to work with so many of the Boston acts I respect. Congrats to the winner Pat Bocuzzi and the runner up, Myq Kaplan . Yall will have a chance to vote for Myq in a few weeks online. I'll ket ya know Boston Comedy Festival Last year, I turned in my application late. Not this year. I'm proud to announce I'll be performing/competing in the Boston Comedy Festival this year. I've already been given the date of my round, so mark it up in your calendars, or just link here where you can download it into your calendar directly Boston Comedy Festival Prelim Round 1 October 7, 2007 Dick's Beantown Comedy Vault @ Remington's 124 Boylston St 8pm New Website Emerging Over the past two weeks, I've been moving webhosting companies and decided to change up my blog software as well. Last night, I went a little crazy and decided to move most of my baratunde.com stuff into the blog system too. It's not finished, but it's getting close. You'll find a smoother way to hear/see the podcast and eventually more. Click around and let me know what you think. Other Words
- Thanks to some links sent in by you guys, I wrote a couple of posts over on Jack & Jill Politics including Is (insert name here) a Racist? and Let's Talk About the Monsters We're Creating.
yo my peoples
This past Sunday I had what I'll call a rockstar moment. I was eating at the All Star Sandwich Shop in Inman Sq, Cambridge, Mass. HIGHLY recommended, BTW. Anyways, I handed the waitress my credit card. She looked at it, and yelled, "YOU WRITE FOR THE DIG!"
I was like, "Why yes, yes I do." :)
And she went on, "I LOVE your column. It's always so funny. I was gonna write them a letter. I know they've had a lot of management changes, but I want them to keep you."
I said to her, "You just made my day."
Her response: "You made mine."
Wow. It feels great to have my name recognized like that by someone who has no other connection to me other than a love of great sandwiches (on in her case, a love of paychecks). Thanks to all yall for continuing to read the emails, watch the videos, support the shows and occasionally do what I tell you (like clicking on things and writing letters to your political reps). It means a lot.
Now for some News, right!?
COMEDY CENTRAL OPEN MIC FIGHT
I'm a regional finalist in this Comedy Central competition called Open Mic Fights. The video I submitted was the same one YouTube made a Pick of the Day. More info will come later but for now, save July 10 in Boston for the live show.
Check out http://www.comedycentral.com/openmicfight and see fellow Boston comic Myq Kaplan in the video clip
WEEKEND AT JIMMY'S plus HUMAN RIGHTS GIG
Friday and Saturday night
Jimmy Tingle's Off Broadway
255 Elm St, Davis Square
6:30 - 9:30
I'm hosting a fundraiser for the Boston Firefly Project (Boston's Amnesty Int'l group)
details on all shows
A TRIBE CALLED SKETCH
This is the sketch group I occasionally perform or write with. Unfortunately, I put human rights above my creative commitments. Their next show is also Sunday night. Far be it for me, however, to assume we all have the same priorities.
Seriously, this sunday's sketch show will be great, and I'm sad to miss it. You don't have to.
the comedy studio at the Kong
CAMPUS PROGRESS NATIONAL CONFERENCE
I'm MCing the kickoff party for this great event. I get to share the stage with M1 from Dead Prez, yall! My life is so hot!!
Monday in DC. Sadly the conference is completely sold out, so you can't go, but check out the info anyway. http://urltea.com/tgq
Other folks at the conference include Van Jones, Seymour Hersch and Nancy Pelosi
NEW COLUMN OUT IN THE DIG
the former New York mayor won't let us forget that he is the former New York mayor. His campaign is: "The terrorists want to kill you." That's his plan for America. Here is a guy who, unlike the president, did not completely drop the ball on 9.11, and now considers himself a hero. Whoop-de-friggin'-doo. Hey, I didn't crap my pants on 9.11. Does that qualify me to be president?
read the whole thing here http://urltea.com/tgu
that's about all for now folks.
I've got some new video up on the blog (and in the podcast feed shortly) from my Iowa State gig. watch the screaming people go nuts over my jokes. it's kinda weird. they were a little too excited, like they'd never seen a fro before. I also have some more NYC stuff plus Chicago and possibly even Seattle.
stay tuned, and remember, Rudy Giuliani is an asshole.
photo by lotje via Flickr
THERE ARE TERRORISTS OUT THERE WHO WANT TO KILL YOU. THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO READ THIS BLOG POST. THEY DON'T BELIEVE IN LAUGHTER. THEY HATE YOUR FREEDOM. IF WE DON'T DEFEAT THEM OVER THERE, THEY WILL FOLLOW YOU HOME FROM WORK AND MURDER YOU AND SLAUGHTER YOUR FREEDOM. THE WORLD IS BETTER WITHOUT SADDAM HUSSEIN. THE CONSTITUTION EMBOLDENS THE ENEMY. YOU DON'T CRITICIZE A HORSE WHEN IT'S CROSSING THE STREAM. YOU WILL HURT ITS FEELINGS AND IT WILL SLOWLY SINK LIKE THAT HORSE IN THE NEVERENDING STORY. THEN YOUR CHILDREN WILL CRY AND THE TERRORISTS WILL HAVE ONE. GOD BLESS AMERICA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE GALAXY
END OF SPECIAL ALERT.
Hey folksies, I've got shows tonight (Friday) and tomorrow night in Boston.
The Comedy Studio in Harvard Sq
(third floor of the Hong Kong Restaurant)
8pm at 1238 Mass Ave, Cambridge MA 02139
Also, I'm in a movie, sort of, ok not really, but check it out anyway
go in peace, my children